web Production & Marketing
My knowledge of web content strategy runs deep. My responsibilities:
• Create original, engaging content
• Produce mobile-friendly websites
• Structure sites for higher search rankings
• Design effective social media posts
• Analyze traffic for greater engagement
• Train other professionals on WordPress, Photoshop, social media best practices
Writing & Speaking
I have written and spoken for Business Insider, The Moth, University of Washington, NY Times and National Public Radio. Topics include:
• The joys of being an Airbnb Superhost
• Body image, equity and inclusion
• Writing for the web
• Mobile-first web design
• Photoshop and WordPress trainings
Several years ago, I started a wedding photography company. Amazing adventures followed:
• I went to a wedding pretty much every weekend, making vibrant, emotional photos of people. I also became a photographer for the Seattle Art Museum.
• I learned a lot about clients, communication and compassion – and how to file small business taxes.
• I used to be shy, but running a photo business brought out the extrovert in me. I met hundreds of interesting people, including the man who is now my husband.
I believe in life-long learning, but here are my formal degrees:
Vassar College, B.A. English, cum laude
Seattle Community College, A.A. Web Design & Development
I train other professionals at the University of Washington about best practices in web design, content writing, social media and mobile marketing.
WRiting & Speaking
Intertwined in Mississippi,
When I was six, my family and I moved from Seoul, Korea to Mound Bayou, Mississippi, a town founded by two former slaves. This essay is about attending first grade there. Published under my Korean name Soyon Im.
WEB DESIGN & PHOTOSHOP
I help influence the very first impression that people get when they open the website of the University of Washington. I select the top image and work with our communications team on messaging. I edit the images in Photoshop and optimize them for multiple platforms and mobile devices. Sometimes, I also take the photo.
WEB MARKETING STRATEGY
In the past, I was the Manager of Internet Strategies at the HIV Vaccine Trials Network, a division of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. I worked with people from 25 other offices around the globe to enhance their web presence.
• I put the organization on Facebook and Twitter for the first time. This was in 2007, when many people didn’t know what these platforms were, and organizations were hesitant to be on social media.
• I led the production of the center’s very first mobile website in 2008 and introduced them to
QR code marketing.
• I presented frequently during meetings and blogged about my findings to show my colleagues the rapid change in people’s
web surfing habits.